White Lake Area Chamber of Commerce Opposes Walmart | Business
WHITEHALL TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WZZM) -- Walmart is planning a third superstore in Muskegon County. The company announced last week that it intends to build a new store in Whitehall Township. But today, the White Lake Area Chamber of Commerce has released its official position on the store on its Facebook page and says it is opposed to it.
Here is the just released statement from White Lake Area Chamber of CommerceWHITE LAKE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE TAKES A POSITION ON WALMART
The White Lake Area Chamber of Commerce has taken a formal position opposing the opening of a Walmart in the White Lake area according to Amy VanLoon, Executive Director of the Chamber. “After reviewing the impact Walmart has had on similar size community independent retailers, obtaining feedback from our members and community leaders, our Board of Directors met and concluded Walmart will be devastating to the health of the White Lake business community” said VanLoon.
“The White Lake Area Chamber of Commerce is urging Whitehall Township officials to deny Walmart’s site plan and carefully evaluate the effects of short term economic gains from tax revenues and low wage jobs in the Township versus the loss of a significant number of existing retail businesses, lost tax revenue, more empty storefronts and high employment loss throughout the Montague and Whitehall area” according to Ms. VanLoon.
“There are literally 100’s of articles and reports that study the impact on communities when Walmart enters the market and they are overwhelmingly negative” according to Mark Zickel, Chairman of the Board, White Lake Area Chamber of Commerce. “The negative impact on existing retailers is particularly devastating in communities with less than 5,000 residents. Some communities similar in size to ours have seen more than 40% of their existing retailers go out of business in very short order” according to Zickel.
Upcoming Events near Whitehall - Montague
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Grand Haven: 'Lessons from the Renovation and Restoration of a 1880s Home' May 17
- Holland-Grand Haven named healthiest in U.S.
- My Town Grand Haven: Fire Barn Gallery exhibit opening April 17
- Methodist church in Grand Haven invites public to Holy Week services
- Coast Guard officer accused of assault
- More than 40 tanks have been retrieved by state and local crews working with propane safety experts on flat-bottom boats.
- My Town: Tech Center students earn $66,000 in scholarships at state competition
- Man killed in Muskegon Township crash
- Muskegon County man to face trial in hotel room shooting
- My Town Muskegon: City offers storm yard waste pickup through April 25