State rejects dune road request | News
WHITE RIVER TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - A western Michigan lawmaker says the state Department of Environmental Quality has rejected a proposal to build a 1,200-foot private driveway across a strip of government-owned Lake Michigan dune habitat.
Bro G Land Co. has applied for a state Department of Environmental Quality permit to build a 2,800-square-foot home on 2.2 acres of dune property near Barrier Dune Sanctuary. The site is in Muskegon County's White River Township.
Republican state Sen. Goeff Hansen of Hart tells MLive.com the state agency told him Friday it has rejected the request.
Bill Gezon is a member of the family that has owned the land for decades. He has declined immediate comment.
About 200 people attended a public hearing on the proposal April 15 at Montague High School, with most speakers opposing it.
Upcoming Events near Whitehall - Montague
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Coast Guard rescues man trying to kayak across Lake Michigan
- My Town: St. Patrick-St. Anthony's to host hospice talks Sept. 4
- My Town Grand Haven: Library hosts free workshop on how to take better photos
- My Town Grand Haven: Loutit District Library announce Labor Day and winter hours
- Grand Haven rallies past Fruitport