State rejects dune road request | News
WHITE RIVER TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - A western Michigan lawmaker says the state Department of Environmental Quality has rejected a proposal to build a 1,200-foot private driveway across a strip of government-owned Lake Michigan dune habitat.
Bro G Land Co. has applied for a state Department of Environmental Quality permit to build a 2,800-square-foot home on 2.2 acres of dune property near Barrier Dune Sanctuary. The site is in Muskegon County's White River Township.
Republican state Sen. Goeff Hansen of Hart tells MLive.com the state agency told him Friday it has rejected the request.
Bill Gezon is a member of the family that has owned the land for decades. He has declined immediate comment.
About 200 people attended a public hearing on the proposal April 15 at Montague High School, with most speakers opposing it.
Upcoming Events near Whitehall - Montague
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: U.S. 31 construction work means traffic slowdowns
- Judge calls convicted murderer a "cold-blooded killer"
- My Town Grand Haven: Play confronts the violence of rape in society today
- My Town Grand Haven: 'Lessons from the Renovation and Restoration of a 1880s Home' May 17
- Holland-Grand Haven named healthiest in U.S.
- My Town Sparta: Downtown Development Authority Office upgrades approved
- My Town Sparta: Village to hire additional DPW employees
- My Town Sparta: Council backs altering village boundaries
- My Town Sparta: Homeowners begin cleaning up after storm
- My Town Sparta: Celebrate Earth Day by helping Howard Christensen Nature Center