UPDATE: Duck Lake drowning victim identified | News
UPDATE SATURDAY (WZZM)-- Muskegon County sheriff's deputies are identifying the drowning victim as Justin Pitz, 18, of Fruitland Township.
His loved ones are holding a candlelight vigil for him at Duck Lake, starting at 9:30 p.m. Saturday. WZZM 13 will have more on the memorial, tonight at 11 p.m.
UPDATE AT 10:20 P.M. (WZZM) -- Search crews recovered the body of a teenager from Duck Lake around 9:30 p.m. Friday.
Authorities are not yet releasing the name of the teenager who drowned.
UPDATE AT 8:55 P.M. (WZZM) -- Muskegon County deputies say the search for an 18-year-old swimmer believed drowned in Duck Lake is now in a recovery mode.
They tell WZZM 13 News they are using side-sonar systems to look for the boy's body in the lake.
FRUITLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WZZM) -- Dive teams from across Muskegon County are responding to a water search and rescue underway at Duck Lake State Park.
According to emergency scanner traffic, an 18-year-old boy was swimming across the channel near the park when he began struggling in the water. He was last seen around 7:25 p.m. Friday.
Emergency crews from Montague, Whitehall, Dalton and Norton Shores are joining the search effort.
WZZM 13 News has a crew headed to the scene. We will have developments online and on WZZM 13 News at 11 p.m.
Upcoming Events near Whitehall - Montague
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Grand Haven: 'Lessons from the Renovation and Restoration of a 1880s Home' May 17
- Holland-Grand Haven named healthiest in U.S.
- My Town Grand Haven: Fire Barn Gallery exhibit opening April 17
- Methodist church in Grand Haven invites public to Holy Week services
- Coast Guard officer accused of assault
- More than 40 tanks have been retrieved by state and local crews working with propane safety experts on flat-bottom boats.
- My Town: Tech Center students earn $66,000 in scholarships at state competition
- Man killed in Muskegon Township crash
- Muskegon County man to face trial in hotel room shooting
- My Town Muskegon: City offers storm yard waste pickup through April 25