School bus hits fallen tree in white out | News
CLAYBANKS TWP., Mich. (WZZM) - A Montague Public School bus crashed into a tree that fell across a road Friday morning.
The bus hit the tree that was laying across Scenic Driver near Winston Road at about 8:00am. Deputies with the Oceana County Sheriff's Office say that the driver was not able to see the tree due to white out conditions.
The bus was badly damaged, but the driver and six passengers on board were not hurt.
Another bus from Montague took the students to school. The driver is not being cited for the crash.
The district sent out this message to parents:
This is Montague Area Public Schools Superintendent Nathan Robrahn. Early this morning one of our buses encountered a downed tree in Claybanks Township. Due to the snowy conditions and slippery road, the bus was unable to stop and ran into the tree. Fortunately, the driver and the six elementary students on board are all fine. They required no medical treatment. A second bus brought them to the school. We are thankful that they arrived safely and are enjoying the day with their teachers and friends. Our staff members have talked personally with the parents of each of these students. If you have any questions, please contact our office. Thank you.
Upcoming Events near Whitehall - Montague
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Grand Haven: Area state parks awarded life-saving beach kits
- My Town: Library summer reading clubs present kids’ wildlife programs July 22
- 2 Motorcyclists crash on Grand Haven Drawbridge
- My Town Grand Haven: School board candidate deadline nears
- My Town Grand Haven: Barbecue feast added to St. Patrick and St. Anthony Parish Festival Aug.15-16