School bus hits fallen tree in white out | News
CLAYBANKS TWP., Mich. (WZZM) - A Montague Public School bus crashed into a tree that fell across a road Friday morning.
The bus hit the tree that was laying across Scenic Driver near Winston Road at about 8:00am. Deputies with the Oceana County Sheriff's Office say that the driver was not able to see the tree due to white out conditions.
The bus was badly damaged, but the driver and six passengers on board were not hurt.
Another bus from Montague took the students to school. The driver is not being cited for the crash.
The district sent out this message to parents:
This is Montague Area Public Schools Superintendent Nathan Robrahn. Early this morning one of our buses encountered a downed tree in Claybanks Township. Due to the snowy conditions and slippery road, the bus was unable to stop and ran into the tree. Fortunately, the driver and the six elementary students on board are all fine. They required no medical treatment. A second bus brought them to the school. We are thankful that they arrived safely and are enjoying the day with their teachers and friends. Our staff members have talked personally with the parents of each of these students. If you have any questions, please contact our office. Thank you.
Upcoming Events near Whitehall / Montague
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Grand Haven: Self-defense training classes offered at United Methodist Church of the Dunes
- My Town Grand Haven: Date set for Chilly Blues Music Festival
- Hands-on Help with Health Insurance Marketplace
- My Town Grand Haven: Harbor dredging awarded additional funding
- Tools for Dealing with Grief and Loss at SLDL
- Public to explore, snack, and register to win at Tech Center open house
- Despite weather, construction continues on Muskegon Farmers Market
- Dead dogs cause of death will remain a mystery if case isn't solved
- Local students shine in auto collision & refinishing contest
- Career Tech students win awards at FFA contest; Student headed to State